25 September 2007

Birthday Away

I though I’d write another new post on my last weekend in London as on Saturday in was my 31st birthday. Well.... the celebration actually started on Tuesday night when we ventured out to the Royal Albert Hall to see John Mayer.





What a great venue! The RAH (not the hospital) had quite a large capacity for such a different shaped venue. Also the acoustics of the place were fantastic. John Mayer turned it on as usual and played most of his songs from his album Continuum and a few of the old favourites. He still also does that weird shit with when he is playing he’s playing certainly parts of songs on his guitar. Another thing worth mentioning about that night was that the suburb of West Kensington were the RAH is located seem to be very affluent and hold very few immigrants or poor people. Mainly just rich whitey’s . Very different from Hackney. There seem’s to be less of an in-between in London.




Wednesday night was thankfully very quiet and involved a bit of quiet time in the flat.


Thursday saw the arrival of my good friends Al and Megan who we caught up with in Hammersmith and saw a stand up comedy show by Ricky Gervais from ‘The Office’ and ‘Extras’. I can almost still feel the soreness in my jaw from laughing so much.







I guess I went along not expecting too much from a stand up show by a guy who I had only really known to do TV comedy. Geez.. was I wrong.


Friday saw Al and Megan move there stuff to our place and then involved a few drinks after work and then a great meal at the Drunken Money. http://www.fluidfoundation.com/venueDetails.aspx?VenueID=2481 . It was very basically a bar crossed with a yum cha type Chinese Restaurant. The highlight was the salt and pepper squid which were served extra thin and crispy like a bowl of fries. I would even go as far saying it was as good as Ky Chow in Adelaide.


Saturday morning saw us all sleep in a grab a great a full breakfast at the French Restaurant across the road from our place. It was great to have breaky and chew the fat with some good friends. Al and then went and kicked the footy in the park while Penny and Megan went to the Tate modern to see some arty gear.


Saturday night we all met up with another friend Flick in Sheppards Bush to have Dinner and see the Hilltop Hoods. ‘What a great a night’. While going in I saw some old friends from Blackwood High so we all hung out and saw the show. Afterwards we had a few beers at the pub down the road and then moved with the crowd to the after party at K-West.





So we got home at about 5:30 Sunday morning and caught up on some well earn sleep.


Even though I didn’t get to spend my birthday with family who I miss a lot, this was still one of the better birthday weeks I’ve ever had. Thanks to all involved and especially to my lovely girlfriend Penny who made most of this happen and got me a cool Holland hoodie for my birthday.

No comments: