12 June 2007

Brown Dog back in the office

I've have managed to get 1.5 weeks work with the Refugee Council of England (Public Sector) located in Brixton. (Brixton is sort of like a Salisbury full of African immigrants.) Hudson Personnel called me last week and asked if I could work for a week and a half in the Brixton office to which replied with a 'ABSOLUTELY'. For me, it couldn't have come with better timing. When the contract is over I'll have 1 weeks of further sight-seeing and leisure around the 'rat-race' that is London before I depart to Riga (the capital of Latvia) for some Euro-Tripping with my big mate, Gibbo.

At the Refugee Council I've reverted back to being a HR Administrator (Public Sector) and to be honest there is not much difference between what I did at the Department of Human Services and what I'm doing here. And yes.... there is most certainly the same levels of bureaucracy. Probably a little more here actually. A prime example is when I attempted to change my broken and filthy keyboard for another on an unused computer and was promptly told off by the IT guy for not letting him know. (Nob!!!!) I simply apologised and reminded myself that in the real world IT are there to actually help you get your work done. What a concept!!!!

I should also mention that in England they try not to lock their refugees up like in good old Australia. Instead they have organisations like the Refugee Council to organise the other function's of government to work together to assimilate the immigrants without minimal disruption to the rest of society. Now I'm not saying that this actually happens that well, but ... it's a good start....


Catchya

BD

2 comments:

Pens said...

Glad to hear that they're treating the refugees a little bit kinder over here. At least that's one positive thing about England!

Anonymous said...

A one & a half week contract and you manage to get the IT guy offside. Great to see nothing's changed! H